Part 6) Unarmed Victim Archive of Law Enforcement Murders 1,251 – 1,400

Police Kill trust

Currently, there is no national database documenting the murders of un-armed people by police, security guards, self-appointed vigilantes or bounty hunters. Although not all victims found here were weaponless, the fatal murdering of the unarmed: whether they are of ethnic origin, disabled, mentally ill, homeless or their sexual orientation, by Police Departments across the country is unjustified, and the vast majority of officers involved are not being held accountable.

I believe ALL those listed below regardless of whether they were in the process of perpetrating a crime, in a gang, drug possession, incarceration, resisting arrest, alluding, a weapon thrown aside, mentally ill or just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, they are all victims. Victims who loved and were loved. This memorial is dedicated to all the Mothers and Fathers, Sons and Daughters, Husbands and Wife’s, Grandparents, Sisters and Brothers, Nieces and Nephews, Girlfriends, Boyfriends, Lovers, Friends and Neighbors who have lost someone at the hands of law enforcement. For all the heartbreak, shed tears, unanswered questions, lies and grief for a life unfulfilled, to you I give honor, for “there but for the grace of God go I”. May you find peace in knowing their bloodshed will not go unnoticed nor will their life be forgotten.

As we remember victims of violence let us remember the sadness of loss. May that sadness be transformed into compassion for the victim and their loved ones. May the fear struck in us by the power of tragedy give way to reverence at the unending power of unconditional love. May we uncover the energy of our anger and use it to right what is wrong in our own behavior toward one another and to challenge the mindsets and systems which enable and promote violence. May love gently wipe the tears from our eyes and remove the fear from our hearts. Look with favor upon the families and friends who mourn the victims and comfort those who are in grief and despair, that peace, the fruit of justice and charity may reign for each of us gathered here today. For all victims of crime, abuse, harassment and all who commit acts of violence; from those who speak harsh words in anger, to those who hate others who are different from themselves, to those who take the life of another, may we learn to act justly, love tenderly and walk humbly.

My definition of Unarmed
Please keep in mind I am only able to research and write bio’s on 5-7 victims per day. Each bio is verified through multiple sources, photos are retrieved, copied, cropped. Each bio is written and condensed close as possible to a single paragraph, many have links to READ MORE. Each name, age, state and ethnicity are entered into 3 data bases and then, after all pertinent information has been gathered I individually post to the website. Therefore each bio takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to complete.

It is at my discretion as to what I consider as being unarmed. If the person has a weapon but is unable to use it because it’s under a seat, knocked to the side, fallen to the ground, in someone else’s possession etc. I consider that person unarmed. If someone is shot in the back, I consider that person unarmed. If there appears to be questionable circumstances surrounding the death, I consider that person unarmed. If the person is mentally ill and can be contained without using deadly force, I consider that person unarmed. Even if the person is a felon and has a violent criminal history, yet fits into any of the above categories, that person is still considered unarmed. If someone is in the commission of a crime, yet fits into any of the above categories, that person is still considered unarmed. If ANYONE can be contained without using deadly force, I consider that person unarmed.

There is no reason, in my opinion to shoot someone when police manage to apprehend and incarcerate extraordinarily dangerous serial killers/ mass murderers/spree killers and vigilantes/bounty hunters yet cannot manage the capture of citizens of ethnic lineage without executing them.

However, if someone is shooting, holding a weapon or hurting someone (including an officer) and there is absolutely no other way to control them, I consider that person armed. Mind you, I credit witness statements far above police reports.

I DO NOT believe Law Enforcement reports. Lies the police tell that are so familiar anyone can recite them: “Reached for waist band”; “Pointed hand at police in a threatening manner.” “Backed the car toward officers” “Lunged at me” “Had a black object in hand” “Tried to grab gun” “Officers of the Un-Peace” or “Un-Peace Officers” Campaigns were formed against the “Blue Code” supposedly making it more visible to the public eye have taken place but all they seem to be doing is allowing the police to police the police and the police. Police are liars, period. So please don’t think I would even consider relying on their statements. The code of Blue Silence is too real to be ignored, and has been proven over and over again to be the real badge of the law.

As for Grand Juries they’ve been bought and paid for in more cases than can be counted. There is something fundamentally unfair about a grand jury system which doesn’t reflect the racial, political and ethnic diversity of the community it serves and the people it indicts.

Visual map displaying accounts of extrajudicial killings of people of colour beginning in 2012

Unfortunately due to the ongoing killings by Police and Vigilantes/Bounty Hunters claiming Stand Your Ground (Castle Doctrine) this list will continue to grow. Please keep in mind each victim is double and triple checked for accuracy, therefore it takes approximately 40-60 minutes to complete each bio, including editing, separating into 4 data bases and posting online to the appropriate page(s). This website is an extremely time consuming endeavor, yet a true labor of love, but often mentally overwhelming and occasionally must be set aside as I regroup. If you have a family member, friend or know of someone killed at the hands of Law Enforcement or Bounty Hunters/Vigilante(s) please leave their name, age, state, date of death etc. by replying in the comment box; they will be given top priority on the next post and you will receive links to their location(s). Completed bio’s on this page have ** # and 1, 2, 3 or 4 behind the entry denoting the part/page where the bio can be found. Due to lack of space ((#)) signifies mental disorders, including but not limited to Suicide.

This Is What It’s Like To Be An Unarmed Black Man In America

Alonzo SmithAlonzo Smith 27 B/M Washington DC Nov. 1, 2015 – Security officers at the Marbury Plaza apartments where the incident happened wouldn’t explain what happened to Smith.D.C. police want to be clear that when their officers arrived, Smith was already in handcuffs and in the custody of armed security officers. Metropolitan Police responded to an ‘assault in progress’ in the 2300 block of Good Hope Road in Southeast. In the hallway, the two MPD officers observed armed security officers had Smith handcuffed. Smith wasn’t breathing. Smith was taken to the hospital where he died.

Kevin BrownKevin Brown 47 B/M Nassau NY Jan. 10, 2014 – Brown had two “episodes of seizures” shortly after he arrived at the jail. The authors concluded “the lack of a physician assessment and consideration for transfer to a hospital on a patient experiencing a medical emergency such as a seizure is evident of negligent medical care.”Brown died of cardiac failure. The report says his body was found “in full rigor mortis” indicating he was dead for more than four hours before jail staff found him. The findings represent at least the third time in four years New York’s Commission of Correction has reprimanded Armor Correctional Health, a private contractor, for mismanaging the care of an inmate who died under the company’s care.

No Photo Available-001Casey S. Babovec 30 Saline County AR April 13, 2011 – Babovec was reportedly was stopped by sheriff’s deputies and arrested for suspicion of DWisconsin. While in custody, Babovec began acting strangely and agitated, so jail officers placed him in a holding cell. He allegedly struck another inmate. Detention officers went in and broke up the altercation and removed Babovec and began to subdue him with a taser. After they subdued him and placed him in another holding cell by himself, he became unresponsive. Babovec was immediately transported to the emergency room at Saline Memorial Hospital, and was there pronounced dead.

Jerry PereaJerry Perea 38 H/M Albuquerque NM March 21, 2011 – Police were responding to a report of domestic violence. officers stopped Perea, who was riding a bike in the area, because he matched the description of the domestic violence suspect. According to police, Perea hit officers with the crucifix and was subsequently shot with a Taser. Perea initially appeared to be OK and even apologized to the officers for striking them with the crucifix, police said. Paramedics were called to treat Perea but he became unresponsive, possibly due to cardiac arrest. n its finding, the District Attorney’s Office said it had “no probable cause to believe that Officer David Baca or Officer Andrew Jaramillo committed a crime.” The findings said the police actions were justified and the officers followed APD training, policies and procedures. Merlinda Perea, Perea’s mother said she believed officers used excessive force and exaggerated Perea’s weight as well as the size of the crucifix he was holding. She described her son’s death as a “murder.”

No Photo Available-001James Robert Hudson 34 W/M Whittier CA April 9, 2011- Hudson was allegedly found wandering nude and bleeding. Officers found Hudson, still nude and bleeding from a gash on his head, lying face-down in some ivy, Lt. Mike Rosson said. Hudson reportedly did not respond to verbal commands, and when officers went over to examine him, he jumped up and acted aggressively toward the officers. He was then tasered. As paramedics looked over Hudson at the scene, he began to show signs of physical distress, and officials rushed him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later, according to sheriff’s and coroner’s officials.

Darrius StewartDarrius Stewart 19 B/M Memphis TN July 17, 2015 – Stewart was a passenger in a car stopped by Officer Schilling for a headlight violation. Schilling ran Stewart’s identification and found the teen had outstanding warrants from Illinois and Iowa. Schilling had put Stewart in the back of his squad car, without handcuffs, as he checked on the warrants. Dispatchers then told Schilling Stewart should be arrested. As the officer approached the back of the squad car to handcuff Stewart, Officer Schilling claims Stewart kicked open the door, grabbed the handcuffs and starting beating the officer with them. As they fought on the ground, Schilling fired his service weapon, wounding Stewart. The teen died at a hospital of two gunshot wounds.

Jonathen SantellanaJonathen Santellana 17 H/M Houston TX Nov. 13, 2013 – Santellana was sitting in his car outside a northwest Harris County apartment complex where Navasota rookie officer Rey Garza provided security. Garza approached the vehicle with a gun drawn on Santellana and a teen female passenger. Believing they were about to be robbed, Santellana put the car in reverse to flee and was shot by the officer. Harris County Sheriff’s Office officials who responded to the shooting and then-Navasota Police Chief Shawn Myatt, said that Garza identified himself as an officer. The officer opened fire, they said, when the car moved and pinned him against another vehicle. The girl in the car disputes that version of events. “The guy approached the car in plain clothes, he didn’t pull up in a police car so there would be no way to believe it was an actual police officer. There was no legal cause to justify the use of force against the deceased and the force used against the deceased was unreasonable and excessive. The officer was cleared in August 2014 of wrongdoing by a Harris County grand jury.

No Photo Available-001Ervin Terrell Motley 38 St Francis City, AR April 9, 2011 – Motley allegedly drove left of center in his vehicle and was pulled over. Motley jumped from the vehicle and ran from the officers, who apprehended him after chasing him for 300 yards. As deputies attempted to take Motley into custody, he allegedly shoved the deputy and dropped his hands out of sight of the deputy, who then used a taser to subdue him. According to the press release, deputies were in the process of transporting Motley to the county jail when Motley collapsed while talking to the deputy transporting him. Motley was transported to Forrest City Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Linwood Raymond Lambert Jr.Linwood Raymond Lambert Jr. 46 B/M South Boston VA May 4, 2013 – Since Lambert was unarmed and not suspected of any crime, the officers did not arrest him. The officers cuffed Lambert’s hands for the ride, but assured him, “we’re not locking you up, we’re going to the ER”. The three officers, Cpl. Tiffany Bratton, Officer Clifton Mann and Officer Travis Clay, departed the hotel in three police cars. Video from one shows an officer calling the hospital, asking for the mental health care worker on duty. The video shows him asking about a light in the backseat, and then about a squad car trailing them. As the officers pulled up to the hospital, Lambert kicked out the squad car window. Video from inside the car shows officers yelling at him to stop. When they cracked the passenger door, Lambert jumped out, sprinting roughly 20 feet towards the ER entrance and crashing into the building’s glass doors. The officers ran after him and began tasing him. In response, Lambert’s body goes stiff and, with his hands cuffed, his arms could not break the fall when he hit the cement. The three officers surrounded him on the ground Lambert was simultaneously tased by 3 officers with equaling 150,000 volts, as well as being tased over 20 times, including after he was subdued in handcuffs and unconscious, roughly 87 total seconds of tasing. Rather than take him into the RE they hauled him back into the squad car. An officer was recorded talking to a hospital worker, who asked if the police were going to bring Lambert inside. “We were,” the officer said, chuckling, “now he’s going to jail.” “He’s bleeding like a hog,” he said, “we thought he was crazy, and then he finally told us he was on cocaine.” As the officers make the short drive to jail, the squad car video shows Lambert unconscious. The officers notice his state when arriving at the jail, where they checked Lambert’s pulse, attempted CPR and called for help. Then an ambulance came and took Lambert back to Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital – the same ER the officers had originally brought Lambert to for treatment. Hospital records show Lambert was flatlined on arrival at 6:06 a.m. – just over an hour after his trip with police began. READ MORE & WATCH THE VIDEO

Demetrius JohnsonDemetrius Johnson 38 B/M Oklahoma City OK April 4, 2011 – Johnson was allegedly driving his car erratically when police officer Bradley Dunn stopped him. Johnson got out of the car and ran away. He fought with Dunn when Dunn caught up with him, police said. Other officers arrived to help Dunn, and at least one of them used a taser to try to control Johnson as he struggled. Investigators aren’t sure how many times Johnson was shocked but it was multiple times. Johnson died shortly thereafter. (Staff Reports, “Police used Tasers on Oklahoma City man who died in their custody”

No Photo Available-001Estyl Lee Hall 67 Pend Orielle OR March 31, 2011 – Hall allegedly assaulted his landlord. Deputies responded to the report of the assault. Hall locked himself in a travel trailer and refused to come out. Deputies believed he had a gun. They cut open the door and one fired a taser. At least one barb hit Hall in the face. He fell, injuring his neck. He died a week later at Spokane Hospital.

Jairious McGheeJairious McGhee 23 B/M Tampa, FL April 3, 2011 – McGhee was allegedly beating on cars at an intersection. A motorist flagged down Officer Greg Preyor. Preyor approached McGhee to ask if he was okay. McGhee had urinated on himself, had bloodshot eyes, and dry lips, police said. McGhee lunged at Preyor and tried to punch the officer, who fired his taser, striking McGhee in the chest, McElroy said. He was taken to Tampa General Hospital where he died a day later.

Justin WayJustin Way 28 W/M ((#)) St. Augustine FL May 11, 2015 – Kaitlyn Christine Lyons, caught him with a bottle of vodka. He was lying in bed with a large knife by his side saying he wanted to harm himself. Lyons called a non-emergency number and asked he be “Baker Acted,” or involuntarily hospitalized for a mental health evaluation, in a process initiated by law enforcement officers. she didn’t feel threatened and that her brother had been Baker Acted three times when he, too, was threatening to hurt himself. She said she figured this would lead to Justin receiving medical care. Instead, two St. John’s County Sheriff’s deputies showed up with assault rifles and told Kaitlyn to wait outside. Police went in with guns blazing and shot him within six minutes he was shot and killed.

Johnny LeijaJohnny Leija 34 W/M Madill, OK March 24, 2011 – Leija went to Integris Marshall Memorial Medical Center for symptoms of pneumonia, after having been sick for a week. Law enforcement says he became combative and was tasered. He died shortly thereafter.

No Photo Available-001 Thomas Luyster 27 W/M Toms River NJ Feb. 21, 2002- 70-year-old retired Newark policeman John W. Mabie fatally shot his 22-year-old granddaughter and three neighbors, Sue Kiernan, Thomas Luyster and Suzanne LaVecchia. Maybie walked out of his home, crossed the street where his granddaughter, Natalie Gingerelli was visiting her great-grandmother. Maybie shot Natalie then left his granddaughter’s body in the kitchen. Moments later Mabie crossed Tyler Drive again to the home of his next-door neighbor, Sue Kiernan, 42, and shot her. Finally, he crossed his own front yard to the home of his neighbor on the other side, Thomas Luyster, 27, and shot him when he came to the door. Mr. Luyster’s fiancée, Suzanne LaVecchia, 27, who came running, was the last victim, Mr. Kelaher said. She was found alive on the front lawn of her house, but she died while receiving first aid. Swat arrive and Maybie put his pistol down and surrendered quietly to the police.

Dale Lee MitchellDale Lee Mitchell 34 Pinellas Park FL March 20, 2011 – Mitchell was allegedly involved in a domestic violence incident. Police arrived and Mitchell allegedly threw some pills on the ground. When officers attempted to identify what kind they were, Mitchell fled. Officer Matthew Patsch fired his taser at Mitchell, who fell to the ground and down an embankment. As he rolled the taser wires broke off. Mitchell crawled into the pond at the bottom of the embankment. He began to struggle the deeper he went into the water before he eventually disappeared from the surface. A diver was called to scene. He located Mitchell’s body and pulled him from the water unconscious. He was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

Tommy TJ Garza Jr. 27 H/M Ector County TX Nov. 10, 2015 – Garza was arrested November 8 on outstanding warrants Garza’s family said his medical needs were neglected during his three-day stint behind bars. “He called me three days in a row and said jailers denied him medical attention and denied his meds,” he had respiratory issues following exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas within the past year. Garza was under medical care and had an oxygen tank. He told them he couldn’t breathe and needed his oxygen… They let him lay there and die.” Garza had not arrived at the jail with an oxygen tank or submitted documentation verifying he required one. He began responding after medics arrived, Donaldson told NewsWest 9, but reportedly began vomiting and became unresponsive again while waiting for an ambulance. “[Paramedics] started CPR on him… and once the ambulance arrived, [their EMS team] took over,” the sheriff said. “[They] took him to [Medical Center Hospital in Odessa] and he died at the hospital.” It is unknown if Garza had called for medical attention on his own, or if “other inmates may have noticed” he was unwell and notified Detention Center officers.

Christopher AparicioChristopher Aparicio 24 H/M Las Cruces NM March 17, 2011 – Aparicio was involved in an incident at the Luna County Detention Center. The county says a taser was used on Aparicio after he allegedly became “unruly” on March 3. He died at Las Cruces Hospital 2 weeks later. (

Jeremy MardisJeremy David Mardis 6 W/M Marksville LA Nov. 3, 2015 – Mardis died when two law enforcement officers – Derrick Stafford and Norris Greenhouse Jr. opened fire at his father was seen by a witness to have his hands up when police opened fire on their vehicle. Chris Few, who they hit in the head but did not kill in an incident that has drawn international ire and grief. tafford is a Marksville police officer and a part-time marshal for Ward 2. Greenhouse is a full-time deputy marshal in Alexandria. They were pursing Few in his SUV through Marksville. State police said Few wasn’t armed and video evidence reportedly shows him with hands above his head before the bullets flew. Few was shot in the head and hospitalized in critically condition. Mardis was in the passenger seat and was hit six times, five times in the head and torso. He was buried in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. a judge had described the contents of bodycam footage from a police officer during a closed hearing, and that it showed the boy’s father – who was critically injured by police – with his hands up. Bonita Alexander, 48, told Daily Mail Online she had watched the shooting unfold from her home. The officers who shot and killed Jeremy had been sued multiple times, and officials have now accused them of lying about every relevant detail of the incident. The 2 Cops are charged with murder.

Jamar ClarkJamar Clark 24 B/M Minneapolis MN Nov. 15, 2015 – Police were called reporting a domestic dispute involving Jamar Clark and his girlfriend. Clark was suspected in an assault, and police claim he was interfering with emergency workers trying to provide aid and get his girlfriend into an ambulance. He was shot during a physical struggle, police said. But witnesses say Clark was not resisting arrest Clark was handcuffed and knocked to the ground when police shot him in the head ‘Execution Style’ Teto Wilson, a witness, was quoted by the NAACP as saying, Clark “was just laying there. He was not resisting arrest. Two officers were surrounding the victim on the ground, an officer maneuvered his body around to shield Jamar’s body, and I heard the shot go off.” “Every witness account I heard said he was handcuffed. Every witness account. Put a knee on him and shot in the head. That’s the account I’ve heard from young people, older people, etc.”

Timothy J. HardenTimothy J. Harden 38 W/M Howell NJ Sept. 5, 2015 – Harden, who was volunteering at Souper Groove Music Festival. Howell police were called respond to a disorderly person at the festival, which was hosted at the New Jersey Latvian Society’s center. Event organizers told the family they called police because Harden was acting violent and paranoid, at some point fighting with security guards. When police arrived, the guards handed Harden over to them. Harden was choked to death. Harden was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, where he was pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s findings suggested Harden died from asphyxiation and related injuries.

Joseph MurphyJoseph Murphy 49 Juneau AK Aug. 14, 2015 – Charged with no crime, Murphy went to jail because he was drunk, on what’s known as a “protective custody” hold — meaning he was deemed to be incapable of caring for himself. Murphy was not drunk enough to be in the hospital. His blood alcohol was .16 when he arrived. He spent the night uneventfully, alone in a cell. Early in the morning, around 5 a.m., he appeared sober enough to be released under the terms of the protective custody law. But staff at the Lemon Creek Correctional Center apparently erroneously believed that a 12-hour hold is a minimum, not a maximum, and that Murphy had to be detained until 6 a.m. Murphy began to yell about chest pain and bang on his cell door. About 6 a.m., someone told him he’d be out in an hour and if he needed emergency services someone would “gladly call,”. Things quickly went downhill. Expletives were exchanged with guards. Soon, Murphy could be seen on the video patting his chest, banging on the door and getting on his hands and knees. In the video “he appears to be sweating,” the report says. At 6:19 a.m., he collapsed on the floor and stiffened. A guard delivering a breakfast tray noticed him on the ground. Correctional officers started compressions but it was too late. Murphy had died of a heart attack.

Davon MosleyDavon Mosley 20 ((#)) B/M Anchorage Correctional Complex April 4, 2014 – Mosley had moved to Alaska from California with his girlfriend and their children less than a year before, but was arrested in Alaska on a California warrant. In jail, he was transferred to a segregation unit for challenging a guard to a fight and making “menacing statements.” He began acting strangely and threatened to kill himself. Pepper-sprayed, he tried to wash himself using water from his toilet. When California correctional officers showed up to transport him back to face charges, they “refused to accept custody of him” because he was in such poor shape. At that point, California dropped the charges against Mosley. He should have been legally free to go. But the paperwork had been lost. The report concluded that Mosley received “very little in the way of mental health care” during his decline. He was naked for days and was taken in the hallway naked — an “unacceptable standard of care” according to the report.

Francis HarnettFrancis Harnett 47 W/M ((#)) Little Egg Harbor Township NJ Nov. 17, 2015 – Police received a call about a suicidal man. Officers responded and shots were fired.The man’s father, whom neighbors called “old man John,” was seen running from his apartment at the time of the shooting, tears pouring down his face. Neighbor John Fekete, Fekete, said he was on the phone with a friend and following the incident. Fekete said he went outside to check on the situation, and heard police say repeatedly to the man, “Sir, don’t do that,” followed by multiple gunshots.

Max GraciaMax Gracia 22 B/M Orlando FL Aug.10, 2015 – Gracias, an armed robbery suspect who suffered from seizures, was bitten by a police dog while resisting arrest on Aug. 6, receiving multiple penetrating bite injuries to the left thigh and leg. Gracia attempted to drown the canine in the lake and actively tried to elude officers by hiding in the lake for more than an hour. Once in custody, Gracia was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center by paramedics for treatment and treated again before being booked into jail later that day. He allegedly received further treatment while at the Orange County Jail. At the time, he complained of weakness and dizziness. His last vital signs were recorded the morning of Aug. 9. Gracia was found unresponsive in his jail cell on Aug. 10 after complaining the night before of being unable to get up from his bed to accept his medication. When Gracia was found unresponsive in his jail cell the morning of Aug. 10, he was moved from the Orange County Jail’s medical unit to ORMC, where he was pronounced dead. A detective told his mother, Willine Gracia, that he suffered a seizure the night before his death. She also said he had suffered from seizures since he was about 17. But as long as Gracia was on his medication, he was fine. OPD has completed an initial review of the incident, and it appears all officers acted within policy and the K-9 performed the job it was trained to do. The Department is conducting an internal investigation since the K-9 bite is listed as a contributing factor in Gracia’s death also there was also evidence of systematic shock according to the autopsy report. Max Gracia’s death, as well as the treatment he received while in custody, are under at least two investigations, including one that led to the resignation of a nurse.